If you’re looking for a cosmetic dentist in Columbia, MD, there are two main ideas to keep in mind.
First, you’ll want to know the age of the patient. That can help when you’re evaluating which procedure or treatment to go for, whether it’s age-appropriate, and if that dentist has the proper experience.
Then you’ll want to have an idea of the procedure you’re looking to do. Procedures that are considered cosmetic often include ways to improve your smile, like fixing gaps, crooked, or discolored teeth. Some dentists may specialize in general care or preventive dentistry, while others also have a focus on cosmetic dentistry.
To help you find the right cosmetic dentist near Columbia, MD for you, we’re sharing the common types of procedures, as well as the ages at which they tend to happen.
Age-Related Cosmetic Dentistry
While many people think there is an optimal age for cosmetic dentistry, people of all ages, from kids to elders, can benefit.
However, the type of procedure will change depending on the age. Though there aren’t necessarily hard-and-fast rules, we hope the following guide helps give you an idea of where to start.
Cosmetic dentistry for children
Children who still have their baby teeth may not require extensive aesthetic dentistry procedures. Adolescents, though, can take advantage of cosmetic dentistry to set themselves up for a lifetime of beautiful teeth.
As kids are getting their first adult teeth, they can be susceptible to getting cavities. This is often one of the first chances for pediatric aesthetic dentistry. Depending on the severity of the cavity, a tooth-colored filling can be used to improve both the health and aesthetics of a child’s teeth.
Children may also benefit from receiving dental sealants. These are thin coatings applied to the surfaces of teeth to help prevent tooth decay before it even starts.
Then as children enter their teenage years, they become candidates for wearing braces.
Cosmetic dentistry for adults
The main goal for pediatric cosmetic dentistry is to prevent cosmetic issues before they happen. As we get older, cosmetic dentistry tends to be more about undoing some of the normal damage that happens to our teeth.
Common cosmetic procedures for adults can include:
- Teeth whitening – This helps to reduce stains and brighten a smile.
- Dental bonding – This is for filling cracked or chipped teeth and helping to make a smile more symmetrical.
- Dental veneers – These can help restore the color of stained teeth.
- Gum contouring – This procedure helps get the gum line to a specific level, ideal for patients who may think their teeth are too short or too long.
Ultimately cosmetic dentistry for adults helps to improve the existence of the teeth we already have.
Cosmetic dentistry for seniors
As we move into our older years, we face a higher chance of losing some of our teeth. Because of that, cosmetic dentistry for seniors can involve more invasive procedures, including bridges, dental implants, and dentures.
For those patients who maintain good oral hygiene and have their teeth, procedures can be similar to adult years. This includes bonding, veneers, and teeth whitening.
For those who have lost some teeth, the procedures can range from a bridge (for a few missing teeth) to partial or complete dentures.
Cosmetic dentistry at Shore Family Dentistry
At Shore Family Dentistry, we are here to help you bring out the best in your smile.
In addition to cosmetic procedures by age, we also group them in the following categories:
- Bonding – These are cosmetic dental procedures intended to repair minor defects, chips, or fractures, mask discolorations, and close small gaps between teeth.
- Crowns – Our Columbia MD cosmetic dentist team is able to help restore the appearance and function of teeth with dental decay, cracked fillings, root canals, or simple wear and tear.
- Fillings – We use strong, durable fillings that bond to the remaining tooth structure following the removal of any decayed or damaged portions.
- Veneers – We use ultra-thin facings made of the highest grade of dental porcelain over the front of one or multiple teeth.
- Whitening – For safe, quick, effective teeth whitening, we use the leading systems to help brighten your smile
If you’ve been searching for a cosmetic dentist in Columbia MD, we encourage you to check out our list of services. Once you’re ready, feel free to get in touch with us to schedule your appointment.